Research and Exploration
3rd Wednesday in April and in October
The purpose of PRIM’ Research and Exploration Assistance program is to support artists with a research approach that aims to encourage innovation in art and exploration of new avenues that will help develop the disciplines.
To apply for assistance under this program, you must:
- Be an artist or artists’ collective creating works independently;
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. In the case of a collective, at least one member must meet this requirement.
PRIM invites emerging, mid-career and established artists to submit a project. In an effort to support diversity and inclusion, PRIM encourages proposals from artists who identify as members of a minority.
- 90% discount on the non-member rate for room, studio and shooting equipment rental for the purpose of research and exploration
- Access to the Research and Exploration rate for producing DCPs (some conditions apply)
- Project guidance and technical support
There is no limit as to the number of projects that can be accepted into the Research and Exploration Assistance program.
General eligibility rules
An unlimited number of separate applications per application period and per artist are eligible.
The same project cannot be submitted to two programs simultaneously.
There is no limit as to the number of times a project may be submitted in the event it is rejected for a previous application period. However, we strongly recommend that you read and take into account the jury comments if you are thinking of submitting it later.
All proposals for producing independent media works in any artistic practice using sound or moving image are eligible.
Note: Projects that are part of a school curriculum are not eligible.
PRIM’s support under this program takes the form of a discount on the non-member rate for renting equipment for the following services:
- Shooting equipment (cinema and virtual reality)
- Sound recording studio
- Digital exploration room
- Editing and finishing rooms
- Digitization and transfer
To benefit from Research and Exploration Assistance for the colourization room, the cinema mixing studio or the DCP creation services, artists must demonstrate that the use of this equipment is essential to their research or exploration project.
The following expenses are not eligible:
- Technicians’ fees
- Distribution media and supplies
Registration terms and conditions
How to apply
To apply, you must complete the online application form and provide the following documents:
- CV of the artist or the members of the artists’ collective applying
- List of technical needs (Excel document to download, complete and attach to the application)
- Audio/video supporting documentation (15 min max in total) in the form of links to Vimeo or other
- Any other documentation that the artist feels is pertinent (photos, illustrations, script…)
SPRING: third Wednesday in April at 11:59 pm
FALL: third Wednesday in October at 11:59 pm
Applications are first evaluated by the person in charge of the program at PRIM based on the program’s eligibility conditions.
Eligible applications are then evaluated by a jury of peers made up of people recognized for their skills in media arts.
The jury evaluates on merit based on the program’s evaluation criteria. At the end of the evaluation, the jury members decide whether to award Research and Exploration Assistance. Projects that do not receive jury backing for this program will then be evaluated according to the criteria of the Creation Assistance program, which will determine whether the assistance is awarded. Decisions are final and without appeal.
The projects are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Project’s interest and relevance (80%)
- Project’s interest for the advancement of various artistic practices
- Project’s innovative nature
- Effect of the project on the evolution of the candidate’s work
- Project’s feasibility (20%)
- Quality and relevance of previous realizations by the candidate and the main participating artists
- Realism of the work schedule and budget forecast
- Ability of the candidate to complete the project
- Impact of the PRIM assistance on the project’s realization
Jury members must follow the Jury Member Professional Ethics Code and the Conflict of Interest rules.
PRIM will notify you of the jury’s decision no later than two months after the program’s deadline.
To benefit from Risky Documentary Assistance, recipients must become PRIM members, realize their project within two years of signing the agreement and meet all terms and conditions.